Monday, February 12, 2007

Week in Review


Last week was a busy one for me. I don't think things are going to slow down any until after our baby is born and until after graduation. Here are a few interesting (to some) thoughts and activities:

The men's basketball team lost to Northland on Tuesday night. It was a fun atmosphere and I was able to attend it with a coaching friend from UW-Green Bay. Nathan C, a highly sought after soccer recruit, had a big game for Northland. I wish he had chosen to come here, but I am happy for how well he is doing. I think there are several aspects of the game that our team can exploit if they face NBBC at Regionals in a couple of weeks.

The US men's national team defeated Mexico on Wednesday night 2-0 in a friendly. The second half was the only part worth watching. I hope the US can somehow start to win games when they really matter.

Travis M, a four-time all-conference soccer player for CUW came to town with the CUW basketball team on Saturday. He graduated from Watertown High and there are always a large number of folk from Wttn here in the stands. I am beginning to think that soccer helps with court vision. Andy Polka and Mariah Dunham, last year's Wisconsin HS Baskeball player's of the year both played soccer. This week we had point guards from NBBC and CUW come to our campus, both are standout soccer players. Steve Nash, two time NBA MVP, Spurs guard Tony Parker and fellow Spur, Manu Ginobili, were all exceptional soccer players growing up. Look in the bio of almost every player in the NBA who passes well and you will find soccer as a part of his athletic experience. Here at Maranatha, one of our best passers of the last ten years was also one of our best soccer playes of the last ten years - Clayton Callan. Furthermore, our own Maranatha men's and women's baskteball teams feature players whose names also appear on the soccer roster - Tagli, Knepp, Hollenbeck, Nichols, Muse, Kutz.

This was our fifth week of the Footskills clinic on Saturdays. We have one more week of instruction. I have enjoyed teaching the technical footwork required to perform the Rivelino, scissors and other soccer moves. Instructing 20 third and fourth graders during the 2 o'clock session is quite an experience. Several of the youngsters that age show some impressive ability.

I booked my second soccer camp for the summer. A boy's camp in Rochelle IL. It is the week before the Maranatha Soccer Camp.

The Techniques of Coaching Soccer class took their first exam. It went okay. They also passed in their Philosophy of Coaching papers. I look forward to reading them.

I was watching the Brazil-Ghana World Cup match the other day and my two-year old saw Ronaldinho's pony tail and though I was watching a women's match. I'm sure that TwoSticks will like that story.-C

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ahhhh, words you will eat soon: "don't think things are going to slow down until after the baby is born"

*chuckle*

Coach C said...

Okay. . .you are probably right. That's why we are having our kids close together. I want them out of the house when I am in my 50's.

TwoSticks said...

Big Al and I were watching couples figure skating (I wasn't watching, it just happened to be on while my eyes were fixed on the tv set). She says "two girls skating together" I told her "no, one's a boy with long hair", her comeback "Well, he skates like a girl and dresses like a girl too", I said "maybe it is two girls"

Coach C said...

I would love to have the source of those quotes. Have you ever watched someone who "played basketball like a soccer player"? It is a lot of fun. NBA basketball bores me to tears unless there is a high level passer involved. It is so formulaic other wise. The same thinge every time down the court. Dunks and three pointers don't excite me, but some Nash's passes make me jump off the couch. The only exception is when intense defense is being played like in most Big 10 games.