Monday, February 05, 2007

Super Bowl

Like I have said before, I enjoy other sports besides soccer. Last night, I was able to watch a large portion of the Super Bowl. I especially like to observe how successful coaches and players handle themselves. Some thoughts:

I like both coaches. I think they both handle themselves with class. The commentators said that Dungy (read the whole article) never raises his voice and never uses foul language. . .that is pretty unbelievable given the climate of the NFL. I must assume that every word he says is important and because he is prepared and concise, his players are compelled to listen to every word. He does not need to shout or use curse words for emphasis. A good thing for me to remember.

Peyton Manning is an example of what can be accomplished when great talent is combined with an incredible work ethic. He was already talking about practicing for next year.
I enjoyed watching the teams play in bad weather.

I have a lot of respect for how Brian Urlacher plays the game. He will probably never win a Super Bowl.

I was once again struck by the issue of time. One of the players said before the game, "We have 60 minutes to settle this thing." Then the game lasted for almost four hours. As a soccer coach, I would love to have time-outs, TV TO's, quarter breaks, clock stoppages for almost everything. But when a soccer match starts, it is literally 90 minutes from start to finish (plus half-time). Your team must be able to think on it's feet and make adjustments without much help from the sidelines. That is why young teams rarely have great success. A soccer match can be like a runaway train, once it starts, nothing can be done to stop it. The fact that so little coaching can be done during a match makes training sessions much more important. I hope do a better job of using time wisely during training in the coming season.

Some will say that Rex Grossman choked - I say that he was never that good to begin with.

This hasn't been much of a soccer post, but here is a Maranatha Soccer picture anyway. Mike Knepp after scoring against Ashford. What a beautiful evening for soccer. . . - C

6 comments:

Sarah said...

I hope this Super Bowl has taught you that you need to tone down your bad habit of cussing during games....:-) JK!

Coach C said...

It definitely will. . . :) Anyway, I am not one to put a whole lot of stock in all the athlete who claim to be beliveres, but the following is a link that provides some more info about the two coaches in the Super Bowl: http://www.beyondtheultimate.org/

Dan said...

Really, Urlacher never win a Super Bowl. I beg to differ. The Bears made it to the Super Bowl. That says something. If Grossman would have calmed down and not throw the ball away. The game would have been a lot closer. Lets think about this for a second.

Coach C said...

Most players don't get more than one chance. The Bears won't be back in Urlacher's playing career. The Pack will win the NFC North next year. Mark it down. :)

Sarah said...

Dan, it's ok to be a little delusional(sp?) though...we understand.

Tim said...

Dan, the Bears never stood a chance going into the game. It doesn't matter what NFC team goes to the Super Bowl because the can't match up with the AFC.

I believe this is the beginning of the Colt's dynasty. Go Bob Sanders!