Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Some quotes and a cool picture.


I thought I would take a break from soccer pictures to post one of the best pictures taken of my daughters in a long time. I think it really captures both of their personalities. Once again, Lord willing, we will be adding a boy to the mix near the end of March. My lovely wife took the picture.

I am in the middle of correcting the Philosophy of Coaching papers from my Techniques of Coaching Soccer class. I am enjoying some of the thoughts and some of you might like them as well. Here are a few quotes from the papers. I don't necessarily agree with all of the quotes, but they are all interesting. I edited some of them for grammar:
In dealing with my athletes, a coach should be completely honest, straight forward, but not cruel.
I consider a successful soccer team to be one that is unified.
Perhaps the best part of athletics is that it allows success to be possible regardless of the outcome of the competition.
I need to remember that most athletes do not live to play sports.
Never accept less than the best.
I think the true purpose of athletics is not to just build character, but to reveal it and then help fix it if there is a problem.
Character will last a lifetime where a trophy will get broken, lost or become meaningless.
I will make an effort to make sure that my players understand that it is the team that wins the games, not the individual.
I would like to say that physical education is the best major on campus at Maranatha.
While I will definitely stress defense, I will always want to be an aggressive and attacking team. Maybe it is a bad strategy, but I think that teams have to take chances, and push the ball, and do things that pressure not only the opposing team, but also stretch themselves as well.
I want my program to be known for team play and passing.
Whether or not a player 'bends it like Beckham' or whiffs 3 out of 3 times will not be the determining factor for his or her success in life.

Another DIII player is going pro. Read the story here. -C

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful picture! Your girls look great in red.

Coach C said...

Greg, you've turned into a softy... Actually, when we compare pictures of Eliana and Sarah at the same age, it is virtually impossible to tell them apart. Elise has a great deal in common with my side of the family. There is nothing laid back about her.

Anonymous said...

what a cute picture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coach C said...

This pic is my current favorite of all time.

Kj, you're going to have some pics of your own pretty soon, aren't you?