Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Is Soccer the Greatest Sport Ever?

I enjoy almost every sport out there. I happen to coach soccer and I love the game. However, when I was younger, I was a baseball fanatic. I am certain that I would have played football if I had gone to a high school that offered it. I played a great deal of basketball as well as coached it for several years. Interestingly enough, probably the sport in which I had the most natural ability was hockey. I am certainly not one of those who make the claim that soccer is the greatest game ever invented and if you don't like it, there is something wrong with you.

As far as Maranatha goes, I try to encourage our players to root for every team on this campus. I have even spent time recruiting for some of the other teams from time to time. We have had several successful multi-sport athletes over the years here at MBBC. Once in a while, an athlete will chose to focus on one sport over the other. This can be a tough situation for the sport that is left out, but it is a test of a coach's ability to respond to exhibit a godly response to a disappointment - and a chance to disciple the athletes who have lost a teammate.

I firmly believe that athletics can help to mold positive habits and characteristics in athletes. I may share some specific examples in some future posts. Can any readers relate a situation in athletics that taught you a life lesson that benefits you today? We would love to hear it - feel free to do so anonymously if you would like. - C

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My hubby played football in high school and said it taught him teamwork, leadership, and perseverance. He was team captain one year and was voted "Mr. Hustle" by his teammates.

I played tennis in school and felt like it benefits me now as a lifelong sport that can be played with your family. Tennis keeps us in shape, which seems harder to do as we grow older, have a couple kids, etc.

We also enjoy the social aspect of sports, the camaraderie and fellowship that it affords as folks get together and play a game.

Many of our church activities include sports, especially since we have a church gym and many outside activities in the summer.

Coach C said...

I think there is great value in being well-rounded. Young people should be guided to appreciate fine arts as well as athletics. Both have something to offer. I wish I knew how to play tennis. I think it is the only sport in which I look like a complete idiot.

TwoSticks said...

Actually, lack of sports has left me "well-rounded"!

Coach C said...

I knew someone would make a fat joke out of that. Especially if you saw a pic of me right now.