Monday, January 22, 2007

More from Germany!

Many of you know that this blog started during the men's and women's teams mission trip to Germany this past summer. You can check out stories and pictures from our trip starting here. Today, I had an email from Jeff Brown, one of the missionaries who was a huge part of our trip. The ladies were based in his town. The church that he planted is now pastored by a German national in Erlangen. The following excerpt is an example of how doors were opened during the trip. It has been translated from German (not by me):

Hey Soccer Women (plus Dave Adam),
First, I am sorry we did not get to Maranatha to see you. In December we never got farther north than Chicago. The first half of January we spent in Michigan and Florida. So... maybe in the spring.Nevertheless, I thought you would want to read this latest story that I sent to my Children, about a man who has gotten into discussions with us at the booktable for years. He was a very successful engineer, who took early retirement from Siemens. You had a part in his opening up to the Gospel. In fact, after he stopped by your game he began to talk seriously with us instead of being in a "Me vs. You" mode. Could someone please further it on to Sommer and Carrie?
Thanks! Jeff Brown
It is 18.00 and almost dark. How dreadful. The day has seemed quite short. Perhaps we feel that way because we slept today until 9.30 and I took a nap this afternoon as well. Probably we are getting slept out. I still had time to go to Büchertisch ca. 12.00. Jason and Julianne, you perhaps would remember the World Revolutionary who used to get into discussions with us (particualrly w. Martin L). He has gotten milder in the last few years. When the Maranatha girls soccer team was here, he was riding by their game out in Forchheim and decided to stop by. He was quite surprised to see his old acquaintances from the Büchertisch there. WR:"You people do this too?" Martin, "Only when Amerikans come to town." WR:"Girls playing soccer. I haven't seen that very often." Martin, "That's revolutionary, don't you think?" He also came to the Northland/BSC game. I began talking to him when he visited the first game. He became interested in discussions with me when he found out that I was reading all of Ratzinger's books (Pope Benetikt). Today Oliver and I talked with him at the Book Table. I thought, in all our discussions over the years, we have never gotten to go through the Gospel with him. So, I began with the "Sharing Jesus" questions. I had been wanting to try them on a German. I began with question 2, since we had already talked at length about spiritual beliefs on other occasions. "What do you think of Jesus Christ?" He gave a five minute answer that dealt with everything from the Roman empire to Evolution to Dr. Ratzinger. Then we went on. When we got to question five, he let me share the Bridge Tract with him. He was in tears before we started. We had quite a discussion, as you might guess. When we got to point five in the Bridge Tract, I had him read Romans 5:8. "Did he die for your sins?" I asked. "Well, no, I don't believe that." We talked for a good while and Oliver helped a lot at this point. I re-read the verse, repeated the question and we went back into discussion. I re-read the verse, repeated the question and he responded, "You are trying to persuade me." Oliver and I answered together, "Could there be anything better to persuade you about?" "Alright," he answered, "but one really has to accept this." Oliver answered, "that is exactly the point." He was not ready to accept but gladly took the bridge tract with him, saying, "This is explained so very well." I do expect the people at the Gemeinde will see him soon in a service.
This is also an example of what it is like to minister in Germany and much of Europe. Patience and faithfulness are critical attributes for a missionary to possess. It is my prayer that the Maranatha men's and women's soccer programs are a place where such characteristics can be exercised and nurtured. - C


No comments: