Monday, May 21, 2007

Sad News

I hesitated to make this post, but I think there may be a large number of you who may not find out in any other way - Nate Miller's mother passed away this last weekend. Nate is a senior at Maranatha and is not a soccer player - he played football and basketball for MBBC. Most of you know that I happen to coach soccer, but I have a high level of interest in all of the other sports here on campus. Furthermore, several soccer players also played on the basketball team with Nate. I remember Mrs. Miller as being outgoing and her ability to feed an entire football or basketball team was well-known. This last winter I was stranded in Lincoln, IL while on my way to the College Cup (NCAA I Final Four) in St. Louis, MO during an ice/snow storm. It just so happened that the Maranatha basketball team was also in town for a tournament and so I called Coach Cronin and I was able to "bunk" in the hotel with the basketball team for the night. Mr. and Mrs. Miller were there and - I guess they did this often - had made a meal for the entire team and whoever else was around - including me.
Here at Maranatha, it is a sad, but fairly common occurrence for a grandparent of one of our students to pass away during the school year. The passing of a parent is an entirely different matter - especially when so many of us on campus knew the parent. Please pray for the Miller family. I'm sure that Nate would appreciate hearing from some of you who knew him well. If you need his cell # or other contact info, don't hesitate to get in touch with me or Coach Cronin.-C

No comments: