Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Freshmen


Those of you who have been through the soccer program here at MBBC know that I tend to ignore freshmen - at least it seems that way to players in their first year. It isn't a conscious decision on my part that is just how things happen to play out. We like freshmen, we couldn't have a soccer program without freshmen - it's just that they are meant to be seen and not heard. :) Honestly, most freshmen don't know enough about college soccer to offer any suggestions that are worth while. Mostly, they just try to tell me how their high school coach did things. Another part of the reason that this happens is that I want to gauge a player's level of committment to the program before I invest a great deal of trust in him. The Maranatha Soccer program is run for the benefit of the player who is committed over the long haul. The player who has proven his committment - not the flash in the pan freshmen who has one fantastic year and no one ever hears from him again.

However, by the time a player is a junior, he and I are typically very good friends. Sometimes I even consult seniors about tactical decisions. They have been through the wars, they know what is going on. Furthermore, I want each of them to become a coach someday and it is a good opportunity for them to begin to exercise their abilities.

I believe that God rewards faithfulness and I hope that Maranatha Soccer helps to instill this virtue.-C

7 comments:

TwoSticks said...

I would appreciate you not comparing the GAME of soccer to war.

Lindsey said...

Yeah Coach, I was pretty sure you couldn't stand me my freshman year....well, maybe you couldn't....but hey, I faithfully kept the bench warm for four years and became your favorite =)

Coach C said...

twosticks, figure of speech. I have heard the following figures of speech used in baseball games over the last couple of weeks: "high heat" "raking" "moon shot" None of them are anywhere near the reality. I even hear baseball called the "national pastime" recently.
Maybe I overstated a bit...but those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones - in a manner of speaking. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure that for anyone who has been through their freshman year in soccer there was nothing in this post that was surprising. But thanks, Coach, for putting up with us. :) I can't wait for August 17th!

Hillary said...

Coach...honestly...I have got to be one of your favorite freshman ever!! Especially when I make my 2 smart comment per game! And my personal favorite "...idiot freshman"

=D

Hillary said...

By the way...that is a STUNNING picture of Zeke! Does he know this pic exists?

Coach C said...

He knows, and he loves it. Maybe I should change it now that he is no longer a freshmen. but it summarizes freshmen so well. . .