Friday, February 08, 2008

Women's Team Memories Part 1

After the annoucement of my resignation, I will be writing a series of posts that include many events that stick in my mind from the last 11 years. There is no way that I will get them all written down, but I will post as many as I can think off and maybe some of you can add a couple in the comment thread.

  • The first pair of team shorts that we bought for the women. The length was fine, but the material did not respond well to washing and drying. If you ever wore a pair, you will never forget them. The next pair were far better soccer shorts, until someone (not me this time) washed them with something red and the white adidas stripes turned pink. We still wore them for another three years.

  • Kelly Smith's accidential "rainbow" that led to our first goal ever against Mt. Mary.

  • Tsunami's do' rag.

  • That game against Concordia University -Wisconsin in 1998. We had only one girl who had played high school soccer on our team - Colleen (Schultz) Keppley. On Saturday, we played CUW in our last regular season match and lost 14-0 (might have been worse, I can't remember). Unfortunately we were matched up against CUW for the first round of the playoffs on the following Monday. We ended up losing 1-0 in the 82nd minute. One of the greatest displays of hustle that I have ever witnessed as a coach. I think I can just about name that entire starting line-up off the top of my head: Jacqui, Kelly, Melissa, Michelle, Jaime, Colleen, Vianne, Andrea, Carrie, Jessica, Angela.

  • KJ (Kowalcyk) McCuistion (still not sure if I am spelling her new name correctly). There are a million stories about KJ and I think she continues to add to her stack of unforgettable moments. . . there was that time she fell down and everyone stopped playing, her incessant talk about penguins, her toughness . . . and off course, who could forget that van ride back from Lakeland her freshman year? But I won't embarrass her.

  • When the freshman class that included Jen and Sommer beat all the returners plus me during a preseason scrimmage. That's when we knew they were good.

  • 2003: We won 13 games and had one of our greatest years ever.

  • Fenster and the post.

  • Beardslee's goal in OT against MSOE.

  • Endless games of "kill the coach". I don't think I ever lost. . . :)

  • Lindsey's goal in the 97th minute of Parent's Day in her senior year.

  • Mrs. Skrade at Parent's Day.

  • Steph (Ujvary) Johnson's 23 goals in 2003.

  • Frazee's moves, Gavitt's wit, Sommer's gallop, Julie's temper, Shasta's lack of talent, Melissa's free kicks, Sandy's volunteering.

  • Our first soccer camp when only three girls showed up. KJ, Jen and I were the staff - we had the same number of staff as campers.

  • Our second soccer camp when six girls attended. I think that 4 out of the 6 ended up enrolling at MBBC.

  • Lenny's nickname, Skrade's ankle, Kel Mel and Smel, Susies' durability, Christine's perfection, Lisa's knee.

  • Eating at Chi-Chi's after our last game.

More to come. . .

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about Shasta laughing and insisting she was just fine, when she broke her leg.... :)

or....

Okay, I will save the others....don't want to ruin your future posting.

gone forever said...

haahaa! I had forgotten about when I fell down and everybody stopped playing =)! I enjoyed reading all those.

and thanks for not embarrassing me =p. LOL...

Anonymous said...

Kimmie's PK warmups.

Frazee accidentally kicking the PK before the whistle, then, cool as ice, putting the ball back on the 12 and looking at the keeper as if to say "Hey, now you know where it's going, and you STILL can't stop it." Then placing it in the exact same spot. Left corner (keeper's right), 2 inches inside the post, skimming the turf. *sigh* Gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

haha...YES! Thanks mel for sharing Gavitt's PK warm ups!!! Those were perhaps the funniest things EVER

gone forever said...

coach don't forget to post about how we loved to get lost on the way to certain soccer games...i think ripon was one of them? =p

Anonymous said...

How about Carrie Rauba's first day on the team.... Oh man.... the memories....

Anonymous said...

Ah yes...Carrie and Kimmy....friends for life. :)

Anonymous said...

Yeah Sand, they were! I think her goal was to distract and convulse the keepers so we couldn't stop her kicks even if they came right at us.

I don't know if she actually needed that strategy with me, but it certainly worked.

Anonymous said...

ok, coach, we are ready for part 2 :)

Anonymous said...

Hey, Coach, remember when they first changed the rule for substitutions and you forgot about it and took Frazee out and she had to be out for the rest of the game? :)

Anonymous said...

I am out of town for a few days, but Part II is on the way - a few men's team memories will make the list.

Anonymous said...

Hayley....good one! That was VERY funny - well after the fact, it was.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I think I played Frazee for 5 minutes in that first half. It might have been a good thing, she always played poorly in the first game of the season. :) She didn't like hot weather - Wisconsin Octobers suited her well.

KIM said...

So, I think I can only remember playing kill the coach once, my first season, after that there was always some excuse not too...I think coach was scared.

Anonymous said...

I got too fat.