Monday, February 25, 2008

Soccer Memories Part II


Today's post is a continuation of this announcement and this article. It is a list of events and opportunities that I remember when I reflect on the last 11 years that the Lord allowed me to be a part of the soccer program at Maranatha. If you think I missed one, feel free to share it in the comment thread.
  • Our trip to UW Stout when Coach Carrie locked the keys in a running van.

  • Our trip to Benedictine when Coach Jen locked the keys in our van and Kristen pulled the window open just enough for Elise to reach her arm in an unlock it. No one else had arms that were skinny enough.
  • Our return trip from Lakeland in 1998, when I missed Hwy 26 and took Hwy 23. It was the first of many "missed turns" - usually because I was having a fascinating conversation with one of the players. . .

  • Running out of gas on Main St. in Watertown.

  • Our trip to Camp Chetek to help with fall clean-up and Monica (our goalkeeper) broke her finger and then broke her leg a week later. . .

  • Our trip to Camp Chetek in late September - the men's team had to help to get the docks out of the water. One of the coldest swims that I have ever had.

  • Our trip to Finlandia when Eloe played the whole match and missed a point-blank goal.

  • Our 7 hour drive, play a match and drive 7 hours back in the same day to play GLCC.

  • O'Morrow's flip throw assist to Spencer v Edgewood.

  • O'Morrow's own goal on Swifty v CUC.

  • Stueb's playing a whole match with a separated shoulder.

  • Roby's goal with his left from 35 yds v Marian to cost them the conference championship.

  • All of the four-year players.

  • The adidas jacket that the 2005 team gave me - still wear it.

  • The framed verse (Job 23:10) signed by the 1998 team.
  • Autumn's height.

  • Shasta's goal against Alverno.

More to come. . .

9 comments:

Lindsey said...

Yes, I noticed Autumn's height, and Kim Gavitt's, and Sandy's, too...I think they all came up to my knees just about! You weren't much taller I think, Coach =)

Anonymous said...

I'm taller now.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, me too, Coach.

gone forever said...

LOL! You guys crack me up =p!

Lindsey said...

Ha! So am I!! =) Nice try...

Anonymous said...

Only having 1 van in Florida.

I agree that the shot from Shasta during that Alverno game was unbelievable! We were all jumping around like school girls.

That one game on the turf field: we arrived, we practiced in the rain, they delayed the game, we came back on the field to warm up, it rained AGAIN, we finally got to play.

Not scoring for like 5 games, and then in Florida when Melissa scored!! And we won with not having a win for the past 10 games!!

Anonymous said...

I fondly remember coach always telling me not to use the outside of my foot, but to use my inside... Coach you finally gave up and just let me do it. :)

Anonymous said...

Finally stuff that I know about!

Shasta's goal is definitely a good memory.

Jenny's conversation after her first was pretty funny too.

And the whole Elise's-skinny-arm thing...yeah. Good times =)

I seem to remember that on that turf field with the rain and what not it also hailed that day. That was exciting.

Too many good memories from just one season...

And it's also good to know that I'm not the only one that you yelled at about using the outside of my foot. =)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Hillary, I am sure there is hope for you, though. No worries! There was just no hope for me. :) LOL!