Thursday, February 07, 2008

Some News

I have not been looking forward to this post.

You may have seen this article or this one or this announcement or read this post over the past few days. My resignation as head men's and women's soccer coach has been public for some time, but the official announcement was made this week.

When I finished my last season of eligibility as a player at Maranatha in the fall of 1996, I never thought that I would be involved in coaching to any great extent. Little did I know how difficult the following fall would be for me without team involvement. Little did I know that when Coach Morris offered to let me help with the new women's club team in the fall of 1997, that I would find what has been my life's calling for the past 11 years.

I don't know exactly what our future plans hold (do we ever?), but I am confident that God will continue to direct our path. There is potential that God may lead us away from Maranatha, He may even lead us away from Watertown, on the other hand, we might just remain right here for the rest of our lives. I am confident that the college will find a great replacement for me and I look forward to helping them to understand the tradition that is Maranatha soccer.

I want to thank all of the players who have contributed positively to this program and to my experience as a coach. I have enjoyed cultivating relationships with all of you and many of you have earned my respect as godly young people. We have always tried to cultivate an atmosphere of gratitude for the opportunity to play college soccer, an atmosphere oriented toward solutions to challenges and an ethos that encouraged leaders to stand up and act in a positive manner. I been witness to a hundred acts of humility, sacrifice, courage, and thoughtfulness. Another goal was balance. Soccer was not the most important thing in any of our lives, but when you stepped between the lines, the game was on! Today, Maranatha soccer alums are successful in all walks of life, I hope that some of you learned something from your soccer experience that you can apply to real life in ministry, family and vocation.

I possess a thousand memories from the last decade, some of them occupy pictures on my wall, some exist in little notes, some are just memories that resurrect when I hear from former players. Over the next few days, please humor me and allow me to list a few memories off the top of my head. I think that I could fill an entire year's worth of posts if I tried.

If I miss your favorite memory - feel free to add it to the comments on this page.

4 comments:

Lindsey said...

sad, coach, but I am glad I got to be on your team all four years. be careful what you say about me =)

Anonymous said...

Okay, I am anxiously awaiting your list of memories...

Yes, i agree with Lenny...sad, but I am thankful I was there when you were. :)

Wishing you the best!!

gone forever said...

well coach...i should've seen it comin'. I mean, you DID get rid of the last Kowalcyk this year, so of course it's time to retire =p.

I'm glad that I was able to play while you were coach too. I have a lot of good memories from soccer.

I COULD go on and on and on =p...and say what lindsey and sandy said...but they said it =p. Oh wait, i think i said what they said too...

Anonymous said...

Best soccer Coach in Maranatha History!( I challenge someone to prove me wrong!!) You cant be replaced.Even though You thought I was a Mexican and told me not to try out It was some of the best times in my life. I still have many great friends from the team. You did more than coach soccer..CCU is very lucky and I know you will make a great impact. Good Luck Coach and Congrats you deserve it!!

-you know who-