Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Last night was a lot of fun

Yesterday, the Pioneers from Northland Baptist made the trip down to Watertown for men's and women's NCCAA II Midwest Region games. The gym was packed and the noisiest that I can remember. Check out the pictures here. I was able to run the scoreboard for both games - that way I get a front row seat with an unobstructed view. I enjoy basketball, I've played it and coached it, but I lose patience with the endless timeouts and merry-go-round of substitutions. . . I guess that is why I am more of a soccer guy.

Maranatha won the women's game without too much trouble and two soccer players got into the game. (I always enjoy that) Lisa Collogan played several minutes, grabbed a board and shot a couple of free throws. . . Melissa Nichols received some major time and played great defense on a couple of the Northland guards. . . side on. . .feet staggered. . .wide base. . .eyes. . . on toes. . .etc. Ihose of you who have been to a soccer practice here at MBBC know what I am talking about. you can read more about the women's game here.

The men's game started off with prayer and the national anthem. We were led in prayer by Pastor James Solarek (one of our top 11 men's players) and Hayley McGrail sang the national anthem (Not one of our top 11 women's soccer players, but definitely one of the best singers to play soccer at MBBC). David Esgar (current men's soccer player) had a fantastic game for Maranatha. He had 22 points, 3 assists and 4 steals on the night. Check out the men's write-up here.

When Northland plays Maranatha, the score doesn't matter - there is no lack of passion the competition and we always enjoy catching up with friends from the other team after the game. Check out another account of the night from Melanie Killingsworth, other wise known as "killer".

7 comments:

gone forever said...

poor hayley...she can't even defend herself cuz she doesn't know what you said about her soccer skills =p.

Anonymous said...

girls in pants at a bball game...I like it. :)

Anonymous said...

*tsk tsk tsk* coach, you linked to the wrong write-ups. Mine was definitely . . . well, more unconventional. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. . . I was trying to complement Hayley's singing. . .seems that I have failed.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Coach! I take it as a compliment! It's alright, no matter what you say I know that I am one of your favorites. :) LOL

Anonymous said...

Dakujem!

gone forever said...

haha! I'm laughing because I can hear drew saying the same thing over something he totally meant as a compliment. lol! must be a male thing ;).

Have a good weekend.